TV commercials encourage you to have a drink🍹 to relax. However, the relationship between alcohol and anxiety can be more complicated than that. Many adults can safely drink in moderation. For others, alcohol may cause anxiety or aggravate pre-existing conditions.
There are several reasons why alcohol tends to disturb your peace of mind.
Embarrassing yourself at an office party may be an obvious danger, but there's also a molecular explanation. Alcohol causes changes in your brain chemicals, including gamma aminobutyric acid (GABA) that’s involved in regulating anxiety.
Your brain adjusts to the sedating effects of alcohol but may have trouble balancing itself again when your blood alcohol content starts to fall. That could leave you feeling more anxious than when you started, and that uneasiness may last for a day or more.
Lifestyle changes and professional help can make a big difference if alcohol and anxiety are disrupting your life. Learn what you can do to turn things around.
Tips for Drinking in Moderation
Prolonged heavy drinking often contributes to anxiety. The CDC recommends limiting yourself to one drink a day for women👩 and two for men👨on the days you do drink.
Try these techniques to limit alcohol consumption:
1. Plan ahead. Decide what you’re going to drink before you get started. Maybe you’ll skip wine 🍷with dinner, 🍽️so you can have a glass of port afterwards.
2. Slow down. Sip your Margarita. Order a glass of water 🥤in between if you consume more than one alcoholic beverage.
3. Eat food. 🍲Filling up on food allows your body to absorb alcohol more gradually. Fats and proteins are especially useful for slowing the process down. On the other hand, skip the salty snacks🥨 that will make you thirstier and more dehydrated.
4. Enjoy other activities. If you’re used to bar hopping on date nights, go for a hike🥾 or visit a science museum 🖼️instead. Spend your leisure time working on hobbies rather than drinking beer🍺 while watching TV. 📺
5. Resist social pressure. Rehearse what to say if someone asks why you’re turning down a drink. Let your family👪 and friends know you’re trying to cut back, if that is comfortable for you.
6. Take time off.🗓️ Celebrate Dry January or the abstinence days of your choice. Taking a break from alcohol gives your body and mind time to recover.
Other Tips for Coping with Anxiety
Using alcohol to manage anxiety is likely to backfire. 💣
Replace cocktails with strategies that are safer and more effective, such as these:
1. Take sensible risks. Avoiding things that scare you may be adding to your anxiety. Facing your fears teaches you that you’re strong enough to handle life’s challenges. Start with small projects and work your way up.
2. Get enough sleep. 😴You’re more resilient when you’re well rested. Aim for 7 to 8 hours of high-quality sleep each night.🛏️
3. Eat healthy. 🍇Your diet can help you to relax. Use foods rich in fiber to stabilize your blood sugar. Experiment with foods high in certain minerals, like leafy greens 🥗for magnesium and egg yolks 🍳for zinc.
4. Exercise regularly.🏋️♂️ Working out is a great way to use up nervous energy and benefit your mood.
5. Seek help.👨⚕️ Anxiety is one of the most common mental health issues, affecting almost 20% of the adult population. Search for therapists who have experience treating anxiety and substance abuse issues. You may need to target both areas in order to avoid relapses.
If you’re struggling with anxiety, a glass of wine 🍸may relax you in the short term, but it’s still important to deal with underlying issues. Adopt healthy habits for managing stress and talk with a professional if you need more help.
📝About Natural Living by Design
Natural Living by Design Owners 🌱 Supplier🏬 Health & Wellness🍎
Entrepreneurs💻 Leaders📚 Motivational Speakers👩🏽🏫
LaKeisha LaGrande Barbara Woodard Alice Smith
📖Our Story: Living Life Naturally by Design🌱
How many people do you know that have shared a story of health challenges that has changed their quality of life? Well, our family has truly had their share of health challenges, from being active and healthy to bedridden and prescribed a lot of medications. We knew this was not a natural way of living; as a result, we became passionate about using natural products and Natural Living by Design II, was born.
Using natural products on our body and restoring health naturally is our passion and why Natural Living by Design provides quality products that work.
Natural Living by Design II was established in 2019, to help people maintain a healthy, happy lifestyle naturally by providing natural and healthy products that are innovative and will improve one's journey to optimum health.
WHO WE ARE?
We are a certified 3 female family-owned supplier of natural deodorant mist sprays and liquid herbal extract supplements in the City of Detroit.
We believe that maintaining a healthy, happy lifestyle naturally leads to longevity and ultimately living life, naturally by design.
Our mission is twofold:
1) We are committed to providing our customers with great customer service, on time deliveries, the BEST innovative quality natural products that are proven to be a safe alternative and complementary solution to helping people get in the best optimum health possible naturally.
2) We plan to open a factory and create jobs in the city of Detroit. Detroit is one of the cities that lead the nation in poverty, crime, murder, gun violence, and recidivism. We are confident that our quality products will be the catalyst to providing great job opportunities with good wages to the citizens of Detroit so that they can take care of their families with pride and dignity.